In full accordance with the Specific Programme „Integrating and Strengthening the European Research Area“ and Priority 3 - Nanotechnology and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices (NMP), the Network will contribute to the promotion and exploitation of the 5th and 6th FP results, to the improvement of knowledge based application-oriented nanosciences and nanotechnologies and to the building of the European nanotechnology related industry.
The main objective of the project is to mobilize human and material resources in the field of nanostructured materials in New Member States and ACC, to consolidate, strengthen, and enhance the dispersed research/technological potential in this field of research, to promote and use the results of 5th FP and 6th FP, and to improve the knowledge based application oriented nanoscience and nanotechnology in Europe.
The further objective is to improve significantly the communication and collaboration between the Centers working in this area of research in individual New Member States and ACC, between the Centers in ACC, Member State Countries, Russia NIS and SEEC contributing to the building and strenghtening of ERA. An effective system for information exchange and system for training/mobility will be established to fulfil this objective.
Another objective is to disseminate scientific information as well as the results of research and development and to create a common platform for coordinate research, education, and training activities in New Member States and ACC in the field of nanostructured materials and nanoscience/nanotechnology.
A very important objective is to integrate in ERA the New Member States and ACC activities and to contribute to the development of radical breakthrough production technologies leading to the mass production of nanopowders and nanocomponents of high quality or self-controlled manufacturing operations.
The specific objectives of the NENAMAT are:
- sharing and developing research infrastructure of the Network partners
- monitoring common interest and generating interdisciplinary research projects
- planning the research activities to avoid duplicate research
- to improve the position of female in research
- to improve the protection of intellectual knowledge
- to improve education in the nanoscience/technology and related fields
- to help in creation of „knowledge communities“ in nanotechnologies
- to elaborate technological roadmaps in nanosciences and nanotechnologies
- to integrate education and skills development with the research activities
The NENAMAT Network will actively contribute to the implementation of the activities and dissemination of results in the following fields:
- nanopowders / nanoparticles
- nanostructured metallic materials
- nanostructured ceramic materials
- thin fims, dots and multilayer nanosystems
- nanotubes, nanowires & self-organizing phenomena
- nanometrology, non-metallic and non-ceramic nanostructured materials
The NENAMAT Network will have a very positive impact on the:
- increase of the basic understanding of phenomena and properties of the nano-scaled materials with attention to possible applications;
- development of the production technologies for high purity and high performance nanopowder/nanoparticles, such as nanosulphides for sorption of toxic metals from waste water;
- nanotubes development, such as carbon nanotubes, at a commercially viable cost, applications of the nanotubes to related systems (composites, components, surface structures, wires, etc.);
- development of new concepts and technologies for further development with substantial breakthrough potential applications, on the study of a variety of advanced techniques for nano-scale manufacturing;
- development of breakthrough technologies and methodologies exploiting the self-assembling properties of matter;
- development of materials and systems with predictable composition and structure, and control of their final properties, e.g., through external fields;
- development of novel functional and structural materials of superior performance for industry by controlling their nanostructure, such as nanostructure magnetic materials and superconductive materials, bulk nanostructured metals for structural applications possessing ultrahigh strength combined with light weight (Al-alloys), excellent conductivity (Cu-alloys), or biocompatibility (Ti-alloys);
- potential development of new, higher performance “nano-enabled” services, products, components, devices, systems, etc.
The NENAMAT will support better utilization of advanced nanotechnologies as shock wave technologies, plasma-chemical and thermal arc processes, spray and physical vapour deposition, but also nanostructuring of solid surfaces. Advanced characterization and testing methods through Moessbauer, laser Raman, and IR spectroscopy, scanning and transmission electron microscopy, X-ray, etc. will be developed and used by the collaborating partners.
Mobilization and integration of activities of New Member States and ACC in the field of nanoscience & technology will help to integrate nanotechnologies, new materials, and new production technologies for improved security and quality of life in Europe, e.g., by developing new sensors, actuators and devices leading to a greater security and safety of people and of the environment, for example, advanced nanostructured ceramics developed for high temperature applications above 1200 0C, designed for parts of engine and/or turbine will improve their thermal efficiency and reduce the NOx emissions. Such advanced materials help in monitoring of the quality of products and systems, reliability and safety, and to provide early feedback to protect people and environment.
The NENAMAT will significantly contribute to the dissimination of scientific information and results through the planed summerschools, workshops, conference and exchange of young researchers.
The Network NENAMAT will be an effective tool to help preparing in the future joint research activities between New Member States, ACC, Member States, Russia & NIS and SEEC. The impact of the NENAMAT activities will be at a broad international level covering all ERA. The results of this project will be very useful in preparing the future setting out development and technology road maps in nanoscience and nanotechnology. This highly multidisciplinary, strongly international co-operation based project will improve the interaction between education, research, development and realization, but also between researchers and public authorities, regulators or standardisation bodies.